Where you come to talk about your second favorite server.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Do I Aim?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How Do I Aim? on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 pm

This may sound like a strange question. However, as some of you know I am a TF2 noob and a FPS noob. The last FPS I played was the original Medal of Honor when it was released. Should I keep practicing and just figure it out, or should I cop out and buy a PC controller like a joystick or xbox styled controller?

~DeltaBravo124 study

View user profile

2 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm

DONT!!! I REPEAT DONT buy an joystick or controller for this.. I have had this debate with a few die hard console'ists and I will argue it into the ground. I believe you can take any console or pc fps game and pit controller vs mouse and mouse will always win.

I need to find this actually tried and tested but I am convinced. I am a slightly above averaged FPS'er and I feel confidant that I could beat very very skilled halo/cod console users with just a mouse and keyboard.

To you question. I assume your not actually asking HOW TO aim (use the mouse if you are?) TF2 is tricky as far as FPS go because of the fact that virtually none of the weapons are simple point and shoot weapons. I came from being a pretty skilled FPS player and it took me awhile to even consistently get any kills!

1. I would try increasing (or decreasing) your mouse sensitivity untill it feels comfortable. You want to be able to look around quickly and still have precision and control of your aim.

2. Avoid classes that rely and good aim (Dont try and play scout/sniper if your aim is not that quick/good) Great starter classes in tf2 are:
*Pyro (get a backburner, u can pm me if you want a free one from me.) its fun just get close and kill em quick.
*Heavy, lots of health the best aim is not required to get those kills. (try hiding around corners for both classes I mentioned)

Then of course if you need a bit of a break from trying to hit people you can have alot of fun playing medic or engi.

-Nathan

View user profile

3 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Agreed with nato, dont get a controller, my friend uses one, and he isnt bad, but he could be better. second. fiddling with the sesitivity does help, although if u switch mouses a lot (i dont) u'll need to constantly change it. My best advice that isnt copying nato's is constantly play tf2, find tactis that work for you.

one i use as spy is: jump from above like a ninja, stab them.

After a while of playing tf2, u'll get twitches, good twitches, aim twitches an more. my favorite twitch is constantly doing 180's with a melee weapon to kill spy a that may or may not be there.

EDIT: quick tip.Medic, once you learn how to bend the syrnges around corners, you are a battle medic.

Constantly move your mouse while moving backwards aiming at that single spot, the opposing person will walk into all ur needles.

View user profile

4 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Honestly, I haven't tried it with a controller, but it'd just seem odd. You wouldn't have as much control of direction you are facing.

What you want to do is slowly work your way up in mouse sensitivity. As you grow more accustomed, increase it. Eventually, you will easily move your mouse around on the pad and be fine.

Now if the problem is that you don't have a real mouse and are using some laptop pad, then... get a mouse and a normal sized mousepad.

In the end, you should be able to move your mouse around the pad without lifting it up in order to do a 180.

View user profile

5 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 am

Dr.Aster

Firstly: You have much more accuracy and control with your wrist than with a single thumb. Mouse is thusly a superior device to translate aim.

Secondly: Practice, Practice, Practice. FOCUS ON ONE CLASS. Don't keep changing. Every weapon has different styles of aim, tactic and positioning.

Thirdly: Every class has a different purpose, but since you're playing arena some of these purposes are less useful than if playing Capture point, Payload or King Of The Hill.

Ask yourself what do you want to get out of the game, what do you want to do?

Do you want to trap your enemies? Demoman
Do you want to kill them with 1 shot? Sniper.
Do you want to support your team and push past insurmountable defenses? Medic.
Do you want to fly through the air and dominate players from above? Soldier.
Do you want to defend your team's assets and heal players? Engineer
Do you want to be invisible to your opponents and take out buildings? Spy
Do you want to be nimble and hard to shoot at? Scout
Do you want to mow down tiny babies on enemy team? Heavy
Do you want to send enemies flying away from you or immolate a room of people? Pyro

Pick one of these classes to keep working on, and then we'll talk. :3

Since each of these classes has different weapon sets (Plus you can mix and match) aim will vary greatly on what class and weapons you choose.

ABOUT THE GAME MODE YOU'VE CHOSEN!:

In arena your job is to kill as many people as possible, do the most damage, and or heal the players who are doing such. However, the main thing you want to achieve is NOT DYING. Survival is key to win. You will beat your head against the wall, you will die a thousand deaths. Playing our Arena server is not for the weak of heart. Pick a class and stick to it. There is no easy path, but you still have to chose one. Being a support class doesn't mean weakness, don't let anyone convince you of that. They'll always be screaming for medics and engies when not present. The most hated class here is heavy, you will be mocked. The most hates weapons are Sydney sleeper and backburner. You will be mocked. It's shitty but get good at whatever you want*.

Whisky Foxtrot Tango uses a huntsman also called a lucksman and a cuntsman. That fucker will kill your face off every time you're anywhere near him and sometimes from a mile away. No one mocks him anymore. So get good at whatever class and weapon set you want. Don't worry about what people say, and don't let people put you down for being a n00b, all those cockbites were n00bs too at some point and time they're just too full of themselves to remember.

(Except Natacha because that shit is all nerfed and gay now)*

View user profile

6 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 am

Once again thank you all for your advice. I'm glad I picked this server to frequent over some of the others available.

~DeltaBravo124 study

View user profile

7 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 am

Dr.Aster wrote:Firstly: You have much more accuracy and control with your wrist than with a single thumb. Mouse is thusly a superior device to translate aim.

Secondly: Practice, Practice, Practice. FOCUS ON ONE CLASS. Don't keep changing. Every weapon has different styles of aim, tactic and positioning.

Thirdly: Every class has a different purpose, but since you're playing arena some of these purposes are less useful than if playing Capture point, Payload or King Of The Hill.

Ask yourself what do you want to get out of the game, what do you want to do?

Do you want to trap your enemies? Demoman
Do you want to kill them with 1 shot? Sniper.
Do you want to support your team and push past insurmountable defenses? Medic.
Do you want to fly through the air and dominate players from above? Soldier.
Do you want to defend your team's assets and heal players? Engineer
Do you want to be invisible to your opponents and take out buildings? Spy
Do you want to be nimble and hard to shoot at? Scout
Do you want to mow down tiny babies on enemy team? Heavy
Do you want to send enemies flying away from you or immolate a room of people? Pyro

Pick one of these classes to keep working on, and then we'll talk. :3

Since each of these classes has different weapon sets (Plus you can mix and match) aim will vary greatly on what class and weapons you choose.

ABOUT THE GAME MODE YOU'VE CHOSEN!:

In arena your job is to kill as many people as possible, do the most damage, and or heal the players who are doing such. However, the main thing you want to achieve is NOT DYING. Survival is key to win. You will beat your head against the wall, you will die a thousand deaths. Playing our Arena server is not for the weak of heart. Pick a class and stick to it. There is no easy path, but you still have to chose one. Being a support class doesn't mean weakness, don't let anyone convince you of that. They'll always be screaming for medics and engies when not present. The most hated class here is heavy, you will be mocked. The most hates weapons are Sydney sleeper and backburner. You will be mocked. It's shitty but get good at whatever you want*.

Whisky Foxtrot Tango uses a huntsman also called a lucksman and a cuntsman. That fucker will kill your face off every time you're anywhere near him and sometimes from a mile away. No one mocks him anymore. So get good at whatever class and weapon set you want. Don't worry about what people say, and don't let people put you down for being a n00b, all those cockbites were n00bs too at some point and time they're just too full of themselves to remember.

(Except Natacha because that shit is all nerfed and gay now)*

You just had to go and make a bigger and fancier post then me didntcha?! HUH!

lol, Lastly I would say after getting ok at tf2, I found that soldier but the easiest class to get "good at"

View user profile

8 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:16 pm

Get a sens that is good for you. Have it to allow you to be able to do a 180 turn with a comfortable swipe. Though you may not have a big mousepad, so get something that is within your range of space.

Some people like to play with a high sens and others like to play with a low sens. As for me, I play with 10 inches for a 360. That's a somewhat low sensitivity imo. Some people will tend to flick their mouses to aim, some just move it with their arms. If you just use your wrist to move your mouse, then a high sens may be suited for you. If you move your arm, using a lower sens should benefit you more.

Aiming style can differ for different classes though, so you may need to adjust.

View user profile

9 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Like this.

View user profile

10 Re: How Do I Aim? on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:06 am

Wat is aiming?

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum